Register for Special Pops Tennis
Athletes & Coaches
Special Pops primarily follows the rules of eligibility as established by Special Olympics North America. Special Pops requirements are:
- Minimum age requirement to train is age 6
- Minimum age to compete in a tournament event is 8
- Person must have a diagnosed intellectual disability
- Current medical registration on file at Special Olympics office within a reasonable period after participation begins
- Able to provide his/her own transportation
Tennis experience and competency is not a qualifier to participate in Special Pops as either an Athlete or a Volunteer.
The most important characteristics are:
- Interest in the sport
- Best effort
Athletes and volunteers are not required to bring any specific tennis equipment. The minimum requirement for each is to have court-approved footwear.
At each of our events, we utilize volunteers in on-court and off-court capacities. Tennis experience and knowledge is a plus but not a requirement for all activities. Your involvement and passion for helping others is far more valuable than your knowledge or skill level as a tennis player. Tennis teams, school groups, families, neighborhoods, and individuals are all encouraged to get involved.
- Passion for the population and helping others
- Tennis skill and knowledge of the game required for some on-court volunteers
- Training athletes: instructor, ball feeder, court control
- Ball person
- Unified partner (please see specific requirements below)
- Site coordinator
- Administrative support
- Training academies: 8 weeks during spring- locations throughout metro Atlanta. Some locations provide an extended schedule for training.
- League Play: Early Fall
- Special Olympics Georgia State Games: May/June (see requirements below)
- Annual Fall Classic Adaptive Tennis Tournament
- Fundraising events
- Other – If you have expertise you’d like to share, please contact Special Pops at email@example.com
Enjoy the thrill of making a difference in the lives of our athletes while enriching your own life. For more information about volunteer opportunities with our organization and the programs we offer, please contact us