Special Pops primarily follows the rules of eligibility as established by Special Olympics North America. Special Pops requirements are:
- Minimum age requirement to train is age 6
- Minimum age to compete in a tournament event is 8
- Person must have a diagnosed intellectual disability
- Current medical registration on file at Special Olympics office within a reasonable period after participation begins
- Able to provide his/her own transportation
Tennis experience and competency is not a qualifier to participate in Special Pops as either an Athlete or a Volunteer.
The most important characteristics are:
- Interest in the sport
- Best effort
Athletes and volunteers are not required to bring any specific tennis equipment. The minimum requirement for each is to have court-approved footwear.